I was having a long overdue clean up of my laptop this morning and came across this interview I did as a guest blogger some time ago. I had such fun with it, that I thought I’d update it and share it afresh.
The questions come from a friend I asked to pretend she didn’t know me! Yes- I know that’s a little bit mad- but I’m a writer- insanity is only ever inches away!!
Do you just write as Jenny, or do you have multiple personas?
I currently have one other ‘me’ as well as Jenny, and that’s Kay Jaybee- an erotica writer of the ‘full on’ persuasion. (There may be another ‘me’ coming soon- I’ll say no more for now…)
- Are you more like Kay or Jenny in real life?
Jenny- no question!
- Do you love coffee as much as the characters in your first Jenny Kane novel, Another Cup of Coffee?
Even more than they do! I can’t write without a coffee close at hand, and I have to have one first thing in the morning or my day doesn’t go well!
- How do you take it?
Black- nothing added- Americano for preference
- How many cups do you drink a day?
- Do you really write in cafes and coffee shops like JK Rowling?
I really do. I even have my own corner in my local cafe- there’s a plaque on the wall to prove it! Not only that, but I am now employed by a brilliant group called Phoenix Somerset to visit Independent coffee shops and blog about my experiences there. Dream job!
- What is your favourite hot drink – apart from coffee?
Coffee is the only hot drink I like- I HATE tea, and I’m allergic to milk, so can’t have hot chocolate, latte etc
- Favourite colour?
- Boots, trainers or heels?
Boots – I am not sporty, and I’d break my neck in heels. I am very clumsy!
- Are the characters in Another Cup of Coffee based on real people?
Almost all of them are.
- Which ones?
My lips are sealed.
- Spoil sport- give us a clue?
I knew three of them at University- although I obviously wrote exaggerated versions of them- and they are all still my friends and totally lovely.
- What did you study at University?
I did an Archaeology degree and then a Medieval History for a PhD.
- Ohhh- like Amy in Another Cup of Coffee did…?
Yes- just like Amy did- well, the archaeology bit- I think I can guess the next question!
- So are you Amy?
I am a little tiny bit, but only a little bit. I more like the character of Kit, who writes for a living (or tries to!)
- You feature Kew Gardens in the book, have you been there, or did you just research in on Google?
I’ve been there many times. I love just wandering around the various greenhouses- and sitting in the cafes of course!
- What would you say always surprises people when they meet you?
That I wear hearing aids. I am 80% deaf.
- Do you prefer being Kay Jaybee- Queen of BDSM Kink- or Jenny Kane- Writer of book chocolate?
I love being both of them – it is wonderful to be able to create such different styles of work, and thus- hopefully- make more people happy when they read! (Well- that’s the plan!)
- What is Jenny going to do next?
The final book in the 5 part Another Cup of Coffee series is due out this summer. Another Glass of Champagne is a full length novel which concludes the adventures of Amy, Kit, Jack, Megan and friends. I am about to start the publishers edits for this. I am also busily drafting the sequel to Abi’s House– which will be called Abi’s Neighbour.
Apart from the writing, I am helping to organise the second Tiverton Literary Festival, which will run from 8th-12th June.
- What is Kay doing next?
Kay’s erotica is largely on hold for a while, as it is Jenny’s turn to tap away at my computer keyboard- except for on Wednesdays. On ‘Wicked Wednesday’ I write as Kay all day- I am currently writing a new novella- but my lips are sealed as it what it will be about!
You can buy all the ‘Another Cup of…’ stories from all good retailers, including Amazon.
For example,you can buy the first in the series, Another Cup of Coffee here…